Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32

From: Trevor Morris
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 12:34:15 -0400

At 05:43 PM 4/23/2002 +0200, Gunnar Farneback wrote:

>2. I believe that the owl code would benefit from a major redesign,
>now that we have gained experience of this kind of reading, but that
>is not quickly done. A simpler experiment would be to run the owl code
>twice, where the first round has the restriction that only critical
>moves and eye-making patterns may be used. Groups which can live under
>this restriction would count as strong relative to ones which have to
>run. The main work here would be to go through the patterns and decide
>which ones have a definite eye-making purpose.

I agree that the owl code can use some overhaul.  There is no distinction
between running out vs. making eye space in the owl patterns.  I wrote
before that I thought addressing this was a good idea:

http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/gnugo-devel/2002-January/000940.html

Gunnar's approach is more clearly spelled out, and sounds very good
to me.

-Trevor