Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32

From: Arend Bayer
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 261 games 3.1.31 vs 3.1.32
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:32:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Daniel Bump wrote:

> So here's some more comments, this time for W:

A few more comments from my side -- I can somehow understand Marco's
feeling about the lack of some more solid direct contact moves.

> 28 at D3 is joseki (though a dangerous one when B responds
> at E3). W needs to know how to make sabaki after crosscutting.

And if W plays the (bad) E3/D3 exchange then it should probably follow-up
with D2 to get some shape.

It would happen rarely in a game between humans that W40 at Q8 produces no
immediate follow-ups locally.

> 44: since W has two weak groups, it had better defend G4
> or D12. (R12 or R15 now would also threaten the B group.)
> Instead, it defends a group that is already alive.
And isn't locally P7 a lot more effective?

> After 45, W would like to defend the defect at Q7. There
> is no time at move 46 for this, however.

Still, Q7 seems very undervalued with 8.10 pts. This is one of the
examples for my "experimental influence is bad in contact fights"-opinion.
(This particular case can probably be improved with an intrusion pattern.)