Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA suggestions

From: Heikki Levanto
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] DFA suggestions
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:30:06 +0200

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 11:22:54AM +0100, Dave Denholm wrote:
> Eg  Having matched string 'X..O.X', report a hit against pattern 42, then
> advance -1 steps in the spiral and try the next node.

I haven't studied the DFA thing at all, but I have been thinking that the
pattern matching could possibly be more effective.

For the first, the DFA follows always the same path. It ought to be possible
to choose (at compile time) the most effective point to test, so as to
eliminate the most patterns if the test fails. If these tests can also be
off-board tests, we should be able to quickly skip patterns that can not be
at a given point at all.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to code this, nor enough experience in
pattern matching to say if this is likely to give real-life benefits.
Comments?

-H

--
Heikki Levanto  LSD - Levanto Software Development   <address@hidden>