[gnugo-devel] Go Board and Go Stone Images

From: Yuan Cao
Subject: [gnugo-devel] Go Board and Go Stone Images
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:18:16 -0500

To Whom This May Concern:

I'm trying to create my own SGF editor in python as a fun personal side project, and as a learning experience. I also wanted to have something that made studying go on the computer a little easier, and thought this would be a good first step.

I tried to read through some of GNU Go's code for inspiration, and came across the go board and go stone images. I would like to use them in my program.

I know that all source files are distributed under GNU GPL. Does that include the image files? How can I legally use them? I am quite new to this, does that mean my program must also have a GPL if I decide to put it on GitHub, or put the source code somewhere public in order to get some feedback from more experienced programmers?

Image formats such as .jpg, .png, or .gif seem to be used much more often. Was there a specific reason why .xpm was chosen instead?

A lot of these questions are probably very newbie-ish. I would appreciate it very much if I could get a reply, even if the reply is a link, or a few words.

Best Regards,

Yuan Cao