Re: Translations was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: Translations was Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interest in GNUmed
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 20:35:25 -0700

On 2009-10-26, at 6:06 PM, Jerzy Luszawski wrote:
Why don't we move the CVS to Bazaar at Launchpad? Because of different
licensing imposed by Launchpad?
What is currently Launchpad used for, what cannot be done in Savannah? If it
is only the translation support, which is rather problematic - why not
abandon it?

The purpose of the above questions is to re-evaluate the possibility to find
one hosting platform, which could meet all our needs. Maybe we should
consider SourceForge.net - it has both CVS, Bazaar and Git available, plus
many other features.

Not sure if any single hosting platform provides all that we want, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_revision_control_software

Launchpad
- packages releases for Ubuntu
- has a translation system (SF and Savannah don't)
- has nicer bug tracking than Savannah (don't make me go back)
- license requirement for BSD on the *translations* is acceptable to me
  (assumes we can dual-release our translation work as GPL)
- but only supports Git import, not Git fully

SourceForge
- is not ad-free (Savannah is)
- no longer runs on all-free software
- offers no advantage over Savannah?

Savannah
- already has its GNUmed project base info configured
- is also already hosting our email lists
- supports Git

... so I am thinking barring any unresolved license issue with Launchpad
--> use Savannah + Launchpad?

PROBLEMS?

I am not sure why there are differences in the listings at
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+translations
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+pots/gnumed
I don't know where the differences come from, but I can tell that Kashubian and Silesian "languages" are dialects spoken in Poland, and they should not be considered as translation targets. It must have been a joke to create the
corresponding .po files. Can someone remove them?

I don't have sufficient privileges to remove them (they reside inside the second in the pair of links above)

Not even sure of the origin of some of them... CVS at Savannah

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnumed/gnumed/client/locale/?root=gnumed&hideattic=1
contains only de, es, it, fr and pt_BR (brazilian portuguese)

Whereas the gnumed trunk at Launchpad
        https://translations.launchpad.net/gnumed/trunk/+translations
contains some new translations worked on as recently as August or September 2009... while it makes sense Gour could have had privileges to create the empty Croatian file, the creator/contributors to Norwegian Bokmal and Polish and Portuguese in Launchpad are not even members of the Launchpad GNUmed development team ???