[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed user interface toolkit considerations

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed user interface toolkit considerations
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:28:10 +0100

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:10:48 +0100
>>>>>> "Karsten" == <address@hidden> wrote:

Karsten> > In that light, I'd say that staying with wxWidgets is better
Karsten> > than Qt
Karsten>
Karsten> Gour, thank you, that's a good thing to know.

I'm glad if you find it useful.

Karsten> It was easier to say "apt-get install python-wxglade" and I
Karsten> knew what I was getting into with that.

I see...

Karsten> I'll have a look at wxFormBuilder but I like my tools to be
Karsten> released (that is "Python support in SVN" is nice but not
Karsten> helpful).

Well, it will be included in upcoming 3.1 which is now in beta.

Karsten> 3) I do not know the benefit of xrc over generated Python.

Here is something from the docs:

There are several advantages to using XRC resources:

    * Recompiling and linking an application is not necessary if the
       resources change.

    * If you use a dialog designer that generates C++ code, it can be
      hard to reintegrate this into existing C++ code. Separation of
      resources and code is a more elegant solution.

    * You can choose between different alternative resource files at
      run time, if necessary.

    * The XRC format uses sizers for flexibility, allowing dialogs to
      be resizable and highly portable.

    * The XRC format is a wxWidgets standard, and can be generated or
      postprocessed by any program that understands it. As it is based
      on the XML standard, existing XML editors can be used for simple
      editing purposes.

(see http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.8.10/wx_xrcoverview.html)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6