[Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed user interface toolkit considerations

From: Gour
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed user interface toolkit considerations
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:47:58 +0100

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:38:00 +0100
>>>>>> "Sebastian" ==  <address@hidden> wrote:

Sebastian> The GTK-OSX guys was advising you on QT vs Wx or GTK vs QT ?

Wx vs. GTK.

Sebastian> I do not fully understand. The Gtk-OSX would most likely
Sebastian> work on bindings of GTK to Cocoa. Unless they have tried to
Sebastian> wrap QT for Cocoa I am unsure how to compare those two.

See for the state of Gtk-OSX:

http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/OSX

or according to the Gtk-OSX man: "If OSX is an important platform for
you, I strongly recommend you choose wx over gtk. Gtk's OSX support
has gotten much better since last summer, but OSX is still very much
an afterthought to the Gtk+ developers...There are still plenty of
holes, though, and progress is very slow." which was very sincere
reply and more than enough for me to decide.

Sebastian> On Linux wx wraps GTK while on Mac wx wraps Cocoa (I
Sebastian> believe).

I believe that wxOSX/Cocoa is not complete and will come with 3.0
release while 2.8 series is based on Carbon.

Sebastian> In this light I would like to see QT wrapping
Sebastian> Cocoa vs GTK wrapping Cocoa on the Mac platform.

I'm not interested in Qt being owned by Nokia...Just see what they're
doing with Maemo platform...many devs are pissed by changing platform so
quickly.

Moreover, according to:
http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits#Qt it
looks that: "Qt doesn't have true native ports like wxWidgets
does. What we mean by this is that even though Qt draws them quite
realistically, Qt draws its own widgets on each platform. It's worth
mentioning though that Qt comes with special styles for Mac OS X and
Windows XP and Vista that use native APIs (Appeareance Manager on Mac
OS X, UxTheme on Windows XP) for drawing standard widget primitives
(e.g. scrollbars or buttons) exactly like any native application.
Event handling, the resulting visual feedback and widget layout are
always implemented by Qt."

/me better stay away from propr. Qt.

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: F96FF5F6