Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions About GNUmed DataBase

From: David Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Questions About GNUmed DataBase
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:36:10 +1100

2010/1/25 Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden>
> Thanks for your time and effort, by this way you have mentioned we think
> this will caused lots of data redundancy

Why do you think that ?

What are you referring to by "this" ?

> and would effect on performance of database if we want to check the
> constrains, is it true or not?

As long as the query is joining on indexed values, then performance should not be a problem. Unless the redundant data needs to be maintained causing a) multiple queries to update and b) a maintenance nightmare. I don't know the GNUMed db schema to comment if this is the case. Sometimes you need to index the index if the data grows quite large.

I've never performed SVT on GNUMed, but it would be a worthwhile exercise if you would like to try. Load up the DB with lots of data and try running some scenarios.  Has anyone performed SVT on GNUMed in the past? What were the results like?

Cheers,
Dave.