Re: Greek in Groff

From: Oliver Corff
Subject: Re: Greek in Groff
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:48:59 +0100

Hi Mortadelas,

I am not an expert in Greek but I have to ask whether you seek support
for modern Greek only or whether you also consider Classical Greek which
uses more diacritics (5 in case of polytonic orthography) than Modern
Greek (two diacritics, if I am not mistaken).

There may be differences between various Greek fonts covering more or
less complete combinations of diacritics with their base letters.

Another issue is encoding. So far, groff is not truly
Unicode-transparent but translates a variety of Unicode characters into
named character entitites (thus bypassing actual code position assignments).

The encoding of choice would probably be ISO 8859-7 in order to remain
within the 8 bit character encoding space.

Finally, if you want to typeset _beautiful_ Greek, hyphenation patterns
must also be loaded but this should ne be too big of a problem as there
are hyphenation patterns available which can be converted to
groff-usable formats.

So far, I see the following order of steps:

1. Install a suitable Greek font

2. Localize necessary strings (like "abstract", "contents", days of the
week etc.)

3. Install suitable hyphenation patterns

4. Write your documents in ISO 8859-7 or convert them from Unicode to
ISO 8859-7

5. Enjoy beautiful groff output.

Best regards,

Oliver.