gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel]New development team

From: Juan Carlos Inostroza
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel]New development team
Date: 14 Feb 2003 20:06:42 -0000

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:30:23 +0100 (CET), "Yves Mettier"
<address@hidden> wrote :

> Juan Carlos Inostroza (jci) and Wilfried Kopp (chevdor) are two new
developpers who
> joined the project. This means they have a read-write access to the CVS.
It means in no
> way that we can expect anything form them: they are working for fun on
their free time.
> Juan Salaverria (rael) also wants to help, but he has less time.

Okay.

> They are curently working on porting gtktalog on gnome2.

> Mathieu is the first author of gtkatog. I sometimes have some news from
him. But he
> wrote nothing since May 2000, so we can consider him as a councellor, and
sometimes take
> benefit of his address book. For example, the new logo from Florent
CELLAI: Florent is a
> friend of his :)

I was going to ask about him a couple of mails ago.

> Now, here is how gtktalog will be developped:
> * gtktalog-1.2: port gtktalog on gnome2. Any other bugfixes and/or new
features are
> welcome but not the priority

It means
- the tree widget has not been ported yet. I'm coding and understanting as
much as possible the way that widget works. Hopefully, i coded some examples
to play with and they compile AND work :-D

- the signals of the list view needs rewriting/coding. I found the signals
that emit when double-click on the list.

> * gtktalog-1.4: People should enjoy gtktalog-1.2 and send feedback.
gtktalog-1.4 will be
> released if necessary with all the user request that can be implemented.

sounds like fun :-D

> * gtktalog-2.0: the GUI and the engine will be split.
>   - The engine will be inside a library because I have already had
feedback from users
> who would like to use the engine but not the GUI for batch-mode tools.
>   - The catalog files will be read thanks to another library, for similar
reasons.
    - maybe we can use a similar GUI as gthumb. Inf fact, i believe that
browsing that way is kinda simple (visually) and doesn't sound like a
code-a-hell...

>   - That catalog file library, and other libraries (that use mysql,
xml...) will have
> all the same API, in order to be able to use any of them, according to the
user's
> wishes.

like i said, sounds like fun...

> Well, currently all the efforts are put on porting gtktalog to gnome2, and
I might say
> that even if it is not functional yet, I can see the changes each time I
cvs-update :)

er...i don't know if i committed it yet, but now i included a logo, but i
had to hack the Makefile.am...don't remember... :-D

Greetings!

--jci