Re: Plotting in Guile

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Plotting in Guile
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:20:01 -0700 (PDT)

> > For my own personal use, I have a Guile binding of GNU Plotutils.  I had
> > planned that someday I'd clean it up and making it available.  It has most
> > of the functionality of the GNU Plotutils 'graph' program.
>
> My questions:
> 1.  What is the status of Plotutils?  I looked into it a while ago and
>     it seemed really out of date and seemed to have a very small user
>     community

I think it is more dead than alive, I think.  There are bug-fix releases,
including one in late 2009, but, the official gnu website hasn't been updated
in a decade or so.  There is no git repo, so it is hard to know if any work
is being done on it.

Even so, it does a great job at your standard 2D graphs.

> 2. Can plotutils produce a variety of outputs?  Pstricks or EPS output
>   would be best; SVG would be a plus

It claims to be able to do PS, PNG and SVG, and some other obscure formats.
I've only used X, tek, and PNG. I don't think it'll do Pstricks.

What is the state of the are in open-source plot libraries these days?

-Mike Gran