Re: Guile OpenGL bindings

From: Javier Sancho
Subject: Re: Guile OpenGL bindings
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:02:29 +0100

Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hi Javier,

Hi.

> Have you had time to think about GL bindings for Guile?

Not much. I've been a little busy with my first child :-)
Just this week I'm back to thinking about it.

> The idea is to use the FFI to make a low-level, complete interface, and
> then as needed to make higher-level more Scheme-like wrappers.  I also
> really wanted documentation, so I munged the upstream docbook into
> texinfo and wrote that out into docstrings and .texi files.  The binding
> isn't working yet, but maybe soon.  I'd like to avoid C if I can.

Aleix Conchillo is also working with OpenGL and encountered a problem
with glutInit and char**. You can see it at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2012-07/msg00074.html
Someone mentioned performance issues when using FFI, too.

> Daniel has an FFI-based GLUT wrapper that he is merging in that repo as
> well.  Are you interested in joining efforts?  I can add you to the
> gitorious project if you like.

Well, I can't promise anything, but yes, I'm very interested in this project.

This weekend I'll try to hack a little.

Cheers.

--
Javier Sancho Fernández - http://www.jsancho.org/