Re: Popularity (was Re: SLAYER announcement ...)

From: Chris Vine
Subject: Re: Popularity (was Re: SLAYER announcement ...)
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 23:12:47 +0100

On Sun, 5 May 2013 12:42:34 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Gran <address@hidden> wrote:
> (And speaking of libraries that will never be used... guile-ncurses
> v1.4 dropped last week.  That'll never have any users because the
> intersection in that Venn diagram is too small, consisting mostly of
> me.  So, I write it for myself.  Maybe I should follow my own
> advice above.)

I don't agree with that.  I have used guile-ncurses for my own purposes
quite successfully.  To be honest, I would never write a non-trivial
program using guile-gnome, which seems to be the only offering if you
want a GUI using guile-2.0: it has too many oddities (in particular, it
seems trivially easy to jam up the glib main loop and is sluggishly
maintained). At least guile-ncurses works as well as ncurses does, and
without any particular oddities.  OK, it provides a terminal/console
interface, but once you get over that it is fine.

Chris