Re: How do you earn money with Guile?

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How do you earn money with Guile?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 22:05:36 +0200

Tristan Colgate writes:

> To play the game a bit, I earned money writing guile, or rather, I wrote
> guile to earn money. I wrote guile-snmp to manage several large networks.
> guile-snmp was developed to run parts of the NHS.net network (I re-wrote
> several tools back to perl net-snmp for the benefit of colleagues, but
> tools were developed with guile-snmp first, far more quickly, and concisely
> that I could have achieved otherwise). I used and extended it for a 5 or 6
> years and it became by far the best SNMP reporting tool I've ever used
> (yes, I'm biased). I'm no longer in the network management business, and
> SNMP has (unjustly) fallen out of favour, so sadly I don't really do much
> with it any more.

This is really cool!

>   More importantly, I learnt an enormous amount about functional
> programming, learned to really lovee lisp (and scheme, and guile). That
> knowledge definitely made me a better programmer. It made me really "get"
> various aspects javascript development that I'd have struggled with
> otherwise. Got me interested in SML and haskell (the alternatives to the
> cult of lambda).
>
>   So my time with guile has, indirectly,  gotten me plenty of jobs, even if
> the people that hired me didn't know it.

I don’t know how to put that, yet, but this isq a pretty strong
quote. May I quote you on it? (though I’ll for starters only do that on
GNU social and twitter, because it’s easiest there)

I started using Guile to expand the limits of what I can do elegantly in
programming, and I feel that that expanded what I can do — writing three
witches¹ showed me where Programming could be and how much of what I
once considered as how programming works was actually ceremony, even
with Python — though Python still is the "rational" choice for many
problems I face.

Best wishes,
Arne

¹: http://www.draketo.de/english/wisp/shakespeare