guix-devel

Branching for v1.2?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Branching for v1.2?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 23:28:23 +0100

Hi!

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> skribis:

[...]

>>> From my point of view, it is easier to freeze 'master' since everybody
>>> can "guix pull" and check that everything is fine.
>>> Otherwise, instead of the freeze, let create the branch and so "guix
>>> pull --branch=version-1.2.0".  It is up to you.
>
>> Yeah we could also branch on the 26th and cherry-pick harmless changes
>> from ‘master’, so people can still have fun on ‘master’.
>>
>> Mathieu, Marius, Maxim, Tobias: thoughts?
>
> This sounds like a better idea to me.  If something needs freezing, it's
> technically much easier/safer to branch.  I don't think it's reasonable
> to expect all of our ~60 committers to have seen this email and know
> they shouldn't push any important updates to master between now and the
> 6th of November (if I followed correctly).

Having pushed the (guix transformations) patch¹, which also updates the
manual and thus requires yet some more translation work, I think I don’t
have any serious changes to make and I’d be happy to branch now.  WDYT?

There are a couple of pending issues, notably regarding locales in GRUB,
but nothing big hopefully, and nothing that changes the manual and
strings I believe.

Thoughts?

Tuesday 6th is approaching very fast and probably we’re be a bit behind
schedule, we’ll see.

Ludo’.

¹ https://issues.guix.gnu.org/44321