guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 19:55:00 +0100

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> let me start with a call for help! I realise that it takes me about one
> week and something close to 100GB on my poor 2-core laptop to rebuild
> the bulk of core-updates up to the packages in my profile, and that is not
> sustainable. It also forces me to do a "guix gc" between two runs, with
> the danger of either doing it too late and having to restart the builds
> (lived experience, one week lost), or losing and having to recompile
> store items that effectively have not changed.
>
> So it would be nice if someone could set up a more complete job for
> core-updates on cuirass or QA, and maybe write up a how-to to see which
> packages work and which ones need more love, preferably by architecture.

I agree, I've wanted to help but between substitutes not being there for
a lot of costly packages (llvm/mesa comes to mind) and not knowing in
advance what failures there are doesn't help.

> Since the bootstrapping seems to have stabilised, that would allow more
> people to work on packages closer to the leaves, since most of what
> currently builds would be available as substitutes from the build farm
> without everybody needing to go through a one-week compilation project.
>
> Here is my eclectic selection of packages I would add to the job:
> - guix (builds)
> - icecat (builds)
> - ungoogled-chromium (probably also builds)
> - openjdk (pulls in rust!, and builds)
> - unison (pulls in ocaml, and builds)
> - calibre (pulls in qt@5 and python; the former builds, the latter still
>   has some problems, among which the python bindings to qt, and packages
>   failing their tests even when updating to the latest release)
> - pandoc (pulls in ghc, which currently fails its tests @9.2.5)
> Please suggest more leaf packages that exercise your favourite missing
> language or application domain!

I would add gdm, xfce, gnome as those are part of most people's default
configuration.  sway is probably another good candidate.  I cannot wait
to delve into gnome-shell's gjs code again! (not)

Best,
--
Josselin Poiret