guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Simon Tournier
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 15:14:09 +0100

Hi,

On ven., 10 mars 2023 at 15:58, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:

> let me start with a call for help! I realise that it takes me about one
> week and something close to 100GB on my poor 2-core laptop to rebuild
> the bulk of core-updates up to the packages in my profile, and that is not
> sustainable. It also forces me to do a "guix gc" between two runs, with
> the danger of either doing it too late and having to restart the builds
> (lived experience, one week lost), or losing and having to recompile
> store items that effectively have not changed.

I sympathize.  That’s one of the reason [1] why I have not checked out
core-updates yet. :-)

1: https://yhetil.org/guix/86v8k57vey.fsf@gmail.com

> So it would be nice if someone could set up a more complete job for
> core-updates on cuirass or QA,

[...]

> Here is my eclectic selection of packages I would add to the job:

[...]

> Please suggest more leaf packages that exercise your favourite missing
> language or application domain!

I agree.  It could be helpful if Berlin or Bordeaux could build some
manifest for core-updates.  And then, once the manifest builds, we could
add some packages and repeat.

It would avoid that we all build the same things; worse, that each of us
burn many CPU just for knowing what fails.

Well, maybe it could be helpful if now Berlin or Bordeaux starts to
build etc/release-manifest.scm.  WDYT?

Cheers,
simon