guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 12:21:16 +0100

Hello Chris,

Am Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 06:24:38PM +0000 schrieb Christopher Baines:
> I configured QA to submit builds for core-updates a little while back,
> currently it requires a code change [1].
> 1:
> https://git.cbaines.net/guix/qa-frontpage/commit/?id=39e9ec627faca95a7b43ff91e195ca9ab9846bf3
> I'm going to try and put some more time in to getting the qa-frontpage
> to display some useful information about branches.

I saw you just deployed the change, great, thanks a lot!

> The builds are currently low priority compared to the patch testing ones
> though, and there are more of these since raising the limit [2].
> It's possible to alter the priority for builds, so we could try and get
> some to happen for core-updates.

Well, from an egoistical point of view concerning core-updates, I would
of course love to see that. But I think we should be consistent: Since we
made a pass through QA mandatory for patch pushing, we should give this
very high priority to avoid discouraging people. And at the time being,
we do not have enough build power on bordeaux to do both, even after doing
more builds on bayfront. I see a few options for the moment: use cuirass on
berlin for this core-updates merge; devote a few of the berlin machines
to QA (which I suppose could be difficult with respect to firewalls and
so on, the Berlin administrators would need to speak out about this);
add more build power to bordeaux locally (which may or may not be possible,
and in any case is not a short term solution).

Andreas