guix-devel

Re: State of core-updates

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: State of core-updates
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 08:54:55 +0100

Am Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 08:56:38PM -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> OK!  We could probably merge staging into master and be done already.

We should build it first. The last time I tried, there was a showstopper bug.

Here it is:
I tried to build staging for my profile on x86_64, but it failed with
a dependency of ffmpeg, rust-rav1e-0.5.1. There is a newer version 0.6.3,
but I did not simply update it, since the package looks particularly
complicated, containing a phase:
         (add-after 'configure 'force-rust-edition-2018
           (lambda* (#:key vendor-dir #:allow-other-keys)
             ;; Force all the dependencies to not be higher than edition 2018.
             (with-fluids ((%default-port-encoding #f))
               (substitute* (find-files vendor-dir "Cargo.toml")
                 (("edition = \\\"2021\\\"") "edition = \"2018\"")))))
and many other changes.

Leo suggested to remove the dependency as non-essential. On the other
hand, I think the problem does not occur in core-updates, so one should
have a look.

And there may be other problems, too.

And of course this implies merging the merged into master staging back to
core-updates, which may create problems we will have to deal with later.
But yes, I would be happy to merge staging first; this was my initial
suggestion, before we somehow collectively flocked to core-updates :)

Andreas