guix-devel

Re: Python

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Python
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2023 14:49:19 +0100

Hello,

Am Sat, Feb 25, 2023 at 05:56:59PM +0100 schrieb Lars-Dominik Braun:
> > Right now I am left with a number of test failures that look real and cannot
> > easily be solved by an upgrade (either because we are already on the latest
> > version or because the tests still fail): python-sgmllib3k, python-typeguard
> > and python-coveralls. See messages below.
> I don’t know for sure why any of these packages’ tests fail. typeguard
> looks like it expects specific strings from Python or one of its libraries
> – safe to ignore.

would you mind having a look how we should proceed? Fix tests or disable
specific ones that you deem safe to ignore?

> sgmllib3k looks pretty dead upstream. Perhaps it’s
> not even needed any more? Updates to Python packages (via `guix refresh`)
> do not update dependencies and thus the list of inputs/native-inputs
> are most likely outdated.

This one is used for python-feedparser, used for calibre and quodlibet.
The feedparser author is not enclined to work on it:
   https://github.com/kurtmckee/feedparser/issues/328
I would suggest to try compiling python-sgmllib3k (and potentially
python-feedparser) without the tests, and see whether calibre still works.
But for this, we first need to get all other inputs of calibre into working
shape.

Andreas