guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: paul
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 23:46:51 +0200

Hi,

This definitely falls into the IDE tooling issue that I complained about
a bunch of times. There seems to be a reality distortion field around
Lisp that makes some users believe that s-expressions automatically lead
to a good IDE experience. And yet, Java IDEs have had automatic import
management for at least 15 years (around the time I first used Eclipse),
but Guile still doesn't have anything of the sort.
It looks like the only way to move forward is for people to share these
helper scripts they've been using and forging them into a consistent
developer environment, maybe based on Guile Studio. Hopefully I can
make some contributions towards such a project.
I fully agree with this. I'd also add that everything seems to be emacs
focused and not being an emacs user is kind of an extra barrier for people.
(I'm not an emacs user)

I finally reached the conclusion that the only feasible way out of emacs to a modern IDE is LSP. There's an implementation here [0] (and a client [1]) that's supposedly working for basic features like Jump to Definition but I still haven't managed to make it work on Guix. There's also an issue to add it to Guix mainstream [2].

Hope this helps!

giacomo

[0]: https://codeberg.org/rgherdt/scheme-lsp-server

[1]: https://codeberg.org/rgherdt/vscode-scheme-lsp