guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 23:00:36 -0400

Hi,

Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> By the way, that's another issue.  Using a TeX based document format for
>> the docs is, uuuh, maybe not the best idea.  Info is a pretty okayish
>> documentation reader, but it's a relatively big barrier to entry
>> compared to what you need to know to make a small edit to the Arch wiki.
>> This way mostly just experienced contributors write docs, not the
>> users who just want to document how they made some weird use case
>> possible.
>
> Another great example. I don't write much documentation because of this.

Texinfo is mostly just plain text until you learn about a few decorators
:-).  It gives us the info manuals that I find very nifty (it's like a
man page, but with hyperlinks and advanced navigation capabilities!) and
used across many GNU projects (e.g. coreutils, Emacs, Bash, GCC, GNU
Make, etc.)  I see it as a strength more than a weakness for the
project.

--
Thanks,
Maxim