guix-devel

git interfaces (was Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for c

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: git interfaces (was Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 13:28:58 +0200

Giovanni Biscuolo <g@xelera.eu> writes:

[...]

> Executive summary: it's "just" and **interface** problem; contributors

"an interface problem"

> who like the SourceHut web UI to format and send patchsets via email are
> very wellcome to subscribe and use the SourceHut services to send
> patches (also) to Guix [1].  There is no reason for Guix to be
> (self)hosted on SourceHut.
>
> Also, like there are manu TUI for Git,

"there are many"

> there are also many Git GUIs
> around https://git-scm.com/downloads/guis, maybe some of them also have
> a "patch preparation UI" like the Git SourceHut web service.

For example, I see that git-cola (https://git-cola.github.io/) have an
interface to apply patches [1] (the user still needs a way to download
the patches to apply them) but AFAIU it does not have an interface for
"git format-patch"; I guess it should not be too hard to add it as a
custom GUI action [2]

Could git-cola be a tool to help people who dislike CLI/TUI tools
contribute to Guix (or other email based patch management projects)
smootly?

[...]

Best regards, Gio'

[1] https://git-cola.readthedocs.io/en/latest/git-cola.html#apply-patches