guix-devel

Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: How can we decrease the cognitive overhead for contributors?
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2023 22:50:04 -0400

Hi,

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

[...]

> but as soon as something breaks, you are thrown into the deep end,
> having to dissect logs, bisect commit ranges, learn strace, gdb (which
> still doesn't work well on Guix)

Hm?  Why GDB on Guix may be sometimes more challenging than say, on
Fedora, I only know of one problem, that is related to grafts (see: #48907).

For running binaries wrapped in shell script, I have this 'run-gdb'
wrapper which reads:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

wrapper=$(cat $(which $1))
shift
. <(echo "$wrapper" | grep ^export)
binary=$(echo "$wrapper" | grep ^exec | grep -o -E '/gnu/store[^"]*')
gdb --args "$binary" "$@"

Hope that helps,

--
Thanks,