guix-devel

Re: Core-updates coordination and plans

From: Josselin Poiret
Subject: Re: Core-updates coordination and plans
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2024 14:51:37 +0100

Hi again everyone,

Thanks for the feedback!  So in the meantime I chose to go ahead and try
with 2.39 (how hard could it be?).

The main visible change for us in 2.39 is the removal of the crypt
library, with a replacement being the external libxcrypt.  This wasn't
too bad to fix in most places, you can find that work on
core-updates-glibc-2.39.  I am able to build up to Gnome, but trying to
build the desktop.tmpl vm image, I stumbled upon a quite annoying issue:
Guix recommends using Guile's (crypt ...) function, which is included
only if libcrypt is available during the build.  However, Guile appears
very early in the dependency graph, and you can't just add libxcrypt to
its dependencies without causing some cycle.

Should commencement's guile-final be a minimal version of Guile without
libcrypt, while guile-3.0 includes it?  Do we want to be able to use
(crypt ...) in g-exps?  I don't really know what the answer to those
questions should be, but it probably involves a world rebuild :(.
Anyone have an idea/opinion about this conundrum?

Other than that, I think that branch is in a pretty ok shape, I've also
included a couple of patches that were requested.

WDYT?
--
Josselin Poiret