guix-devel

Re: Core-updates coordination and plans

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Core-updates coordination and plans
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:11:50 +0100

Hello!

Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz> skribis:

> Thanks for the feedback!  So in the meantime I chose to go ahead and try
> with 2.39 (how hard could it be?).

I’m glad you did that; at the same time, I feel like it’s delayed the
merge.  Maybe in the future we need a calendar-based schedule for
‘core-updates’ to help make decisions like this?

> Should commencement's guile-final be a minimal version of Guile without
> libcrypt, while guile-3.0 includes it?  Do we want to be able to use
> (crypt ...) in g-exps?  I don't really know what the answer to those
> questions should be, but it probably involves a world rebuild :(.
> Anyone have an idea/opinion about this conundrum?

As discussed on IRC, the ‘crypt’ procedure is documented in the Guix
manual as a way to provide an initial user account password, so it “has
to” be available in ‘guile-final’.

> Other than that, I think that branch is in a pretty ok shape, I've also
> included a couple of patches that were requested.

Yay!

Ludo’.