guix-devel

Re: Core-updates coordination and plans

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Core-updates coordination and plans
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2024 17:26:31 +0100

Hello Felix,

Am Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 07:26:57AM -0800 schrieb Felix Lechner:
> How about a 48-hour period every month in which commits are permitted
> even if they cause "world rebuilds"?
> We could pause the substitute builders during that period. It would get
> rid of core-updates forever.

a time-based approach sounds like a good idea indeed; if just for things
like ungrafting, which are considered extremely low risk. It might still
be good to do it in a separate branch instead of master, and to merge it
after substitutes are available. Since "guix pull" takes the latest commit
from the master branch, users could otherwise end up with a world-rebuild
commit without substitutes.

So maybe we could have a time window, but also discuss and prepare before-
hand which big changes we would like to push?

Having a team or a dedicated individual (in both senses of the terms,
a designated person with a lot of dedication) to shepherd this through
would also be good.

Andreas