Changing user login shell to new bash release

From: Khan Smith
Subject: Changing user login shell to new bash release
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 05:01:00 +0200

   There is the option of building bash 5.1.8 from the compiled bash with
   PREFIX set to "/".   How would
   you comment on such approach?

   Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 2:39 AM
   From: "Kerin Millar" <kfm@plushkava.net>
   To: "Khan Smith" <khansmith@mail.com>
   Cc: "Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev" <fxmbsw7@gmail.com>, "help-bash"
   <help-bash@gnu.org>
   Subject: Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release
   On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 04:34:46 +0200
   Khan Smith <khansmith@mail.com> wrote:

   > If I source my scripts (my scripts having #!/usr/local/bin/bash) from
   > my .bashrc, would that
   > be good enough? I only need version 5 for some small things in one of
   > my scripts.
   No, it wouldn't. The documented behaviour of source is to "read and
   execute commands from FILENAME in the current shell". Anyway, the
   procedure that you described in the initial post is valid.
   --
   Kerin Millar