Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release

From: Kerin Millar
Subject: Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 05:18:18 +0100

On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 05:33:55 +0200
Khan Smith <khansmith@mail.com> wrote:

> Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 at 3:10 AM
> From: "Alex fxmbsw7 Ratchev" <fxmbsw7@gmail.com>
> To: "Khan Smith" <khansmith@mail.com>
> Cc: "Kerin Millar" <kfm@plushkava.net>, "help-bash" <help-bash@gnu.org>
> Subject: Re: Changing user login shell to new bash release
> i was asking recently the same
> chet said its a valid way, but yet i couldnt manage it i think, to make it
> work not sure
> you just need to copy the bash binary, i mean would be enuff
>

> Would be beneficial if Chet could give his point of view, because currently I
> favour
> adding /usr/local/bin/bash to the /etc/shells followed by "chsh -s
> /usr/local/bin/bash".
>
> I am hesitant in case I do even worse than you.

That is the correct way of designating your login shell. As you have wisely
elected not to modify the login shell for the root account, I don't see any
particular concern here, as long as you're able to log in directly as root or
as some other user that is then able to elevate to being root (just in case you
somehow break your local copy of bash in the future). Also, some graphical
terminal emulators allow for the path to the shell to be explicitly defined
within their preferences.

--
Kerin Millar