Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_STDINT_H

From: oconnor . maryann
Subject: Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_STDINT_H defined
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:31:38 +0000

    From: address@hidden
    > > I have a platform on which I am trying to build bison 2.1 for which I
    > would like HAVE_STDINT_H not defined.  Running the configure script
    > generates a config.h which has the following lines:
    > >
    > > /* Define to 1 if you have the <stdint.h> header file. */
    > > #define HAVE_STDINT_H 1
    >
    > Well, this is correct if this header file is available.

That's the thing, it's not available.  Or at least, it's not where the other
standard headers are located.  And from the log and such, I can't figure out why
configure thinks that it is available.

    > > Is there any way to not have those lines generated?  Perhaps an option
    > > configure is available?
    >
    > Options to `configure' are defined by whomever wrote the `configure.ac'
    > file, which may or may not be in the distribution.  The GNU Coding
    > Standards do not require `configure.ac' to be included.  Any options
    > should be shown if you call `configure --help'.

Yes, I've looked at "configure --help", but nothing there seems to be related
to this issue.  And yes, configure.ac is included with the bison package, but
there is no reference to stdint.h.  Here's all that's there:

# Checks for header files.
AC_CHECK_HEADERS_ONCE([locale.h])

    > > Actually, I'd like to know how to do something
    > > like this in general.  I might be missing something, but I haven't been
    > able to find how to do so from any of the documentation or README or
    > INSTALL files.
    > > This is more a question for the Autoconf mailing list rather than the
    > Bison mailing list, but I happen to know an answer (if not "the" answer).
    > > The following code (from the `configure.ac' file for GNU 3DLDF) is for
    > adding two options to `configure'.  The first one is a dummy option,
since    > it's the default.
    > > AC_ARG_ENABLE([dummy],
    > AC_HELP_STRING([--enable-debug-compile], > [Enable conditionally compiled
debugging output (this is the default).]),
    > [],[] )
    > > AC_ARG_ENABLE([debug-compile],
    > [AC_HELP_STRING([--disable-debug-compile],
    > [Disable conditionally compiled debugging output.])],
    > [if test $enableval == "yes"
    > then
    > echo "Enabling conditional compilation of debugging output"
    > AC_DEFINE([DEBUG_COMPILE], [1],
    > [Define to 0 or 1 to disable or enable conditional compilation of
    > debugging output.])
    > else
    > echo "Disabling conditional compilation of debugging output"
    > AC_DEFINE([DEBUG_COMPILE], [0],
    > [])
    > fi],
    > [echo "Enabling conditional compilation of debugging output"
    > AC_DEFINE([DEBUG_COMPILE], [1],
    > [])
    > ])
    > > If you don't want `configure' to define a preprocessor macro to
correspond
    > to a header file, remove the name of the header file from the call to
    > `AC_CHECK_HEADERS' in `configure.ac', e.g.,
    > > AC_CHECK_HEADERS([errno.h float.h limits.h stdlib.h \
    > unistd.h pthread.h gsl/gsl_complex.h \
    > gsl/gsl_complex_math.h gsl/gsl_matrix.h])
    > > `AC_CHECK_HEADERS' or `AC_CHECK_HEADER' (if this exists) may actually
take
    > additional, optional arguments for code that should be executed if the
    > header file is found or if it's not found.  In this case, you could
    > specify that `HAVE_STDINT_H' is undefined.  There's probably an easier wa
    > of doing this, i.e., an Autoconf function (or whatever they're called)
    > that just causes a preprocessor macro to be defined or undefined in
    > `config.h'.  I don't know off-hand, though, so you should check the
    > Autoconf manual.

I'll check the Autoconf manual and also see if there's an autoconf mailing
list to which I can send email (if I don't find the information I need in the
manual).

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/3dldf/3dldf/Group/configure.ac?revision=1.18&;
    > view=markup
    > > If the `configure.ac' for Bison is included in the Bison distribution
or    > is in the CVS repository at Savannah, then you can modify it to suit