Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_STDINT_H

From: oconnor . maryann
Subject: Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_STDINT_H defined
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:09:45 +0000

    From: address@hidden
    > >     > Well, this is correct if this header file is available.
    > >     >

    > > That's the thing, it's not available.  Or at least, it's not where the
    > > other
    > > standard headers are located.
    >
    > This may be the problem.

Well, I can't go into details about the system on which this problem is
occurring, but I have it from someone who knows for certain that the version
of the operating system on which this problem is occurring does not include
stdint.h.  So, again, how is configure finding this non-existent file?  I
guess it's time to send email to bug-bison?  Or perhaps to the Autoconf
people?

    > > And from the log and such, I can't figure
    > > out why
    > > configure thinks that it is available.
    >
    > Autoconf works by calling little programs and setting shell variables to
    > appropriate values based on the results, which are then used for various
    > purposes.  What I called "functions" are really m4 macros (for the m4
    > macro processor);  input files for Autoconf (`configure.ac') consist of m4
    > macros which often contain arguments consisting of strings which are
    > passed to the shell, which should be the Bourne shell.
    >
    > You can look up the m4 macros to see what they do, but I don't think this
    > should be necessary.

Guess I should take a look.

    > There are some common tests which are performed, so some other macro may
    > be testing for `stdint.h'.  If Bison requires `stdint.h', I wouldn't
    > expect it to work if it's missing.  I'm not familiar with this header;  it
    > sounds like it would contain fundamental declarations, but perhaps they
    > are in some other header file on some systems.  If it's in an unusual
    > place, this might be something the Bison maintainers should know about.

Yes, the bison maintainers should know if the header is somewhere else, but
apparently, the header does not exist on this system.

    > >     > > Is there any way to not have those lines generated?  Perhaps an
    > > option
    > >     > > configure is available?
    > >     >
    > >     > Options to `configure' are defined by whomever wrote the
    > > `configure.ac'
    > >     > file, which may or may not be in the distribution.  The GNU Coding
    > >     > Standards do not require `configure.ac' to be included.  Any
options
    > >     > should be shown if you call `configure --help'.
    > >     >

    > > Yes, I've looked at "configure --help", but nothing there seems to be
    > > related to this issue.
    >
    > I wouldn't expect there to be an option for this.
    >
    > A quick-and-dirty solution might just be to copy `stdint.h' into the
    > directory with your other headers, or into the directory in which you're
    > installing Bison.
    >
    > > And yes, configure.ac is included with the bison
    > > package, but there is no reference to stdint.h.  Here's all that's
there:

    > > I'll check the Autoconf manual and also see if there's an autoconf
mailing
    > > list to which I can send email (if I don't find the information I need
in
    > > the
    > > manual).
    >
    > There are several lists: