Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_ST

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: How to configure bison so that config.h does not have HAVE_STDINT_H defined
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:17:41 +0100 (CET)

>     > Well, this is correct if this header file is available.
>     >

> That's the thing, it's not available.  Or at least, it's not where the
> other
> standard headers are located.

This may be the problem.

> And from the log and such, I can't figure
> out why
> configure thinks that it is available.

Autoconf works by calling little programs and setting shell variables to
appropriate values based on the results, which are then used for various
purposes.  What I called "functions" are really m4 macros (for the m4
macro processor);  input files for Autoconf (`configure.ac') consist of m4
macros which often contain arguments consisting of strings which are
passed to the shell, which should be the Bourne shell.

You can look up the m4 macros to see what they do, but I don't think this
should be necessary.

There are some common tests which are performed, so some other macro may
be testing for `stdint.h'.  If Bison requires `stdint.h', I wouldn't
expect it to work if it's missing.  I'm not familiar with this header;  it
sounds like it would contain fundamental declarations, but perhaps they
are in some other header file on some systems.  If it's in an unusual
place, this might be something the Bison maintainers should know about.

>     > > Is there any way to not have those lines generated?  Perhaps an
> option
>     > > configure is available?
>     >
>     > Options to `configure' are defined by whomever wrote the
> `configure.ac'
>     > file, which may or may not be in the distribution.  The GNU Coding
>     > Standards do not require `configure.ac' to be included.  Any options
>     > should be shown if you call `configure --help'.
>     >

> Yes, I've looked at "configure --help", but nothing there seems to be
> related to this issue.

I wouldn't expect there to be an option for this.

A quick-and-dirty solution might just be to copy `stdint.h' into the
directory with your other headers, or into the directory in which you're
installing Bison.

> And yes, configure.ac is included with the bison
> package, but there is no reference to stdint.h.  Here's all that's there:
>

> I'll check the Autoconf manual and also see if there's an autoconf mailing
> list to which I can send email (if I don't find the information I need in
> the
> manual).

There are several lists: