Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: 18 Dec 2001 18:04:22 -0500

 > Hi, I had a perfectly working gnus with since emacs 19.43
 > in combination with epop3-mail, but epop3-mail can't be
 > used with emacs 21.1 as it tries to defalias two now
 > builtin functions.  I have been trying to get this fixed,
 > but are having trouble with the mail-source function.  So
 > I am very interested in a standard gnus which obviates the
 > need for epop3-mail, and was very happy to read Bill's
 > message. However, I just did a grep in the emacs/lisp/gnus
 > directory for pop3-leave-mail-on-server and it is simply
 > not mentioned anywhere.  This is in the NTemacs 21.1
 > distribution that uses gnus 5.9.0.  In what version of
 > gnus can you leave the mail on the server?

Open emacs??/lisp/gnus/pop3.el and search for the line with
`pop3-dele'.  Delete that line and the corresponding pop3.elc.  I
believe that pop3 will never delete mail if you do this.

I am sure that if you ask Lars on gnu.emacs.gnus, he or someone else
would add this feature [in a sane way].  The function `pop3-dele' is
responsible for removing your email with the `DELE' command.  If you
wish something cleaner, you could modify pop3-dele to do this,

   (defun pop3-dele (process msg)
     "Mark message-id MSG as deleted."
     (if (eq ks-delete-flag t)
         ((pop3-send-command process (format "DELE %s" msg))
          (pop3-read-response process))))

This is untested; as I said I always use IMAP.  IMAP is much nicer.

See "http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1725/8.htm"; or other favorite RFC
repository for more.

It is a shame that Gnus is so hard to set up.  It is very useful!

regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.