Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek / Scite2003 Linux and (Mac OS X?)

From: Noli Sicad
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Gusek / Scite2003 Linux and (Mac OS X?)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:22:07 +0700

Hi Luiz,

> I've been using Gusek as you described in the last 2 years, it's my
> "swiss knife" also. Sounds good see more people using it as is. =)

I will still continue to use GUSEK even there will be an new GUSEK
port in Geany.

> I'm not a Mac OS user, then will be necessary some people to help to
> develop / debug possible ports. Chose an editor because it's compatible
> with Mac OS will be great, if someone can join and develop - today even
> Scite has Linux port and Gusek no.

There are Mac OS X users in the group. I am Mac OS now - part time
:-). I will help build and debug. I am starting to look at the Geany -
lexer with is scintilla. I think we can just use the original lexer
that you have develop already.

> Komodo looks good, also, but i'm not sure how complicated can be use it.
> Geany and TextAdept are based on scintilla, so can be less complex to
> port. How much easier one than other? I don't know, need more research.

Komodo Edit (OpenKomodo) is also based on scintilla. It seems Mac OS X
user like it.

> TextAdept appear to be more flexible, but less sophisticated (as you
> say) and less popular than Geany. Compared to Scite, both are quite slow
> under windows, but really faster under Linux. In my view, on both cases,
> Gusek Windows users will be prejudiced by editor migration (not
> portable, needs GTK to run, more slow, bigger sizes, maybe require

TextAdept easier for glpk/mathprog plugin. However, I think Geany
would be probably the best option because it is advance features aside
from this, it has multi languages support and a lot of developers and
supporters. If we have difficulties in porting we can ask there help
as well.

I just downloaded the windows port for Geany and I found out the
scintilla support was omitted in the windows. I  emailed Enrico
Troeger about this.

> additional configuration like system enviroment...), so we need to ask:
> who wants an GLPK IDE? What OS they are using?

Yes, OK. We are asking now. Who wants an GLPK/MathProg IDE? And what
OS are you using?

I think some of the glpk users just come and go in this list Just as
one question and that it. If they see we don't have a good support for
the platform OS that they are using and the are not interest very to
try to download the glpk tarball.

"People will be coming we build" - Kevin Kosner movie about the baseball story.

Remember that AMPL does not Mac OS support at this moment. Just like
ArcGIS doesn't have any support for Mac OS, hence, QGIS is the default
GIS for Mac OS X.

I like that GLPK/MathProg will be supported fully in Mac OS X and
GUSEK in Mac OS X will complete the picture.

I think the glpk-4.43 would be released soon and MathProg ODBC in Mac
OS X will be fully support in release. We just need GUSEK IDE for Mac
OS X and LInux OS

Thanks.

Regards, Noli