Re: Problems with GNATS

From: Rick Macdonald
Subject: Re: Problems with GNATS
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:11:00 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Mehul Sanghvi wrote:

> I have a machine which acts as my mailhost.
> I have a seperate machine gnatshost.

I have the same setup myself.

> So the /etc/aliases file that needs to be setup cirrectly is the one
> on my mailhost/webhost or the one on my gnatshost ?  I currently have
> it setup correctly on my gnatshost.  Is there a way for Gnatsweb to
> use gnatshost as the mail system ?  Currently all systems are setup to
> relay mail to the mailhost.  On the mailhost, I have /etc/aliases
> setup to forward to the gnatshost like so:
>
>     gnats:  address@hidden

No, mail is mail and the alias should be on the mailhost and gnatshost
relays mail to mailhost just like every other machine.

I'm assuming that the gnats database directories are mountable on
mailhost...

> But I do not seem to be seeing anything on gnatshost.  The /etc/aliases
> entries on gnatshost are of the form:
>
>     gnats:  /path/to/query-pr -d /psth/to/database -q
>
> I might have made syntax errors above, but they are correct in the real
> file.  I am just doing this off the top of my head.

That's close (you probably have it right):

gnats:  "| /usr/local/libexec/gnats/queue-pr -d /path/to/gnats-db -q"

> Should I be doing anything at all with /etc/aliases on mailhost ?  Or
> just on gnatshost ?  Or on both systems, like I am doing now ?

As above, just on mailhost.

> For the existing PRs in that we already have in GNATS,  I get no
> notifications whatsoever (I am the gnats-admin and gnats-admin is setup
> to be the responsible person at all levels, at least while we are
> testing GNATS out).  I have DEBUG mode enabled,  NOTIFICATION is
> enabled.  Is there a cron job or something I need to run ?  And how does
> GNATS generate a new index automagically ?  According to the
> documentation I should not have to touch gnats-admin/index or
> gnats-admin/current.

Let's get the mail going first and see what happens. You shouldn't ever
need to touch index or current.

...RickM...