Re: Thoughts on gnatsweb

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: Re: Thoughts on gnatsweb
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 17:21:20 +0100 (CET)

First of all, sorry for the delay in replying!

On 10 Feb 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:
> One thing that is annoying is that sometimes gnatsweb forgets that I
> can log in to a database.  For instance, on the gcc web pages there
> are links like this:
>

> http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?user=guest&password=guest&database=gcc&cmd=login
>
> This is supposed to take you to the gcc gnats page.
>
> Well, this is annoying because if I already have a gnats account for
> this database, and I'm already logged in, following this link will log
> me in again as `guest'.  I think either links like this shouldn't log
> me in again, or it should be possible to specify a default
> user/password pair (perhaps in the site config file) and then simply
> leave them out of the URL in the link.

Yes, that might make sense:

 1. If there is cached (via cookies) user info, use that and directly
    go to the main menu.

 1. Else if there is no cached user info and a default user set in the
    server config, use that default user.

 2. Else present the login screen.

Any volunteers to implement that?!? Patches highly welcome!

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry" address@hidden http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/