no login gnats4

From: Moe Elzubeir
Subject: no login gnats4
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 02:22:05 -0600

Okay, this is my second serious attempt at gnats ;)

I started fresh (Debian -- woody). I did an 'apt-get' for gnats, and did
the install. Made sure all the files are there.

When I try to do a 'telnet localhost 1529' I get:

----
arabeyes:~# telnet localhost 1529
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to arabeyes.
Escape character is '^]'.
422 GNATS initialization of database failed: You are not permitted to
access database (null).

Connection closed by foreign host.
------

In /var/lib/gnats/gnats-db/gnats-adm/gnatsd.access I have:

--
arabugs:EsZwoW/X8ZKZk:edit:arabeyes
--

where the password is simply 'testme'. I initially had it as '$0$testme'
but wanted to try that too (neither worked).

In my /etc/gnatsd.host_access I have all these:

---
4.40.*:edit
localhost:edit
127.0.0.1:edit
---

I initially only had 'localhost:edit', but added the rest as the tests
didn't work.

In my /etc/gnats/databases file, I have the following:

---
default:Arabeyes Bugs:/var/lib/gnats/gnats-db
---

Okay, so I grabbed a copy of gnatsweb (gnatsweb-3.beta99.2+cvs20011113).
I created a package from it, and installed (dpkg -i). It created a
directory /etc/gnatsweb but didn't put anything there.. so I grabbed the
sample 'gnatsweb-site.pl' and stuck it in there.. it had:

---
$site_gnats_host = 'localhost';
$site_gnats_port = '1529';
---

Connect through the web, gives me an error 422. (bad login/password).
I'm not sure where gnatsweb gets the username/password from.. nothing
indicates where it gets it from.

I tried to do a make test with the gnatsweb src.

$ make test USERNAME=arabugs PASSWORD=testme \
        DATABASE=default

All I get is this:

---
connect...........................................FAIL

Gnatsweb was unable to connect to the GNATS server.

There are several possible reasons forthis.  Start off by checking
that the USERNAME, PASSWORD and DATABASE parameters you supplied are
valid.  If they are, there may be a problem in the configuration of
your GNATS server.  Check your GNATS installation, particularly the
host access files (remember that the web server needs access to the
GNATS server), then run the tests again.

make: *** [test] Error 9
---

So now I am stuck again. At least now, the gnatsd is 'running', but not
letting me in ;) Please help, i tried to provide as much information as
I could.. I hope it's not more than tolerabe ;)

Thanks.