Re: Which standard library implementation is used?

From: Ulrich Eckhardt
Subject: Re: Which standard library implementation is used?
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:30:22 +0200

Alex Vinokur wrote:
> "Since you did not specify the platform, compiler, compiler settings and
> the standard library implementation that were used to obtain these
> results, these numbers are quite meaningless."
>
> Windows 2000
> Intel (R) Celeron (R) CPU 1.70 GHz
> GNU g++ 3.3.1 (cygming special), MINGW
>
> How can I specify the standard library implementation?

Ah, that makes more sense. In this case, the stdlibrary is the native one
that comes with the compiler. The point is, that (if I'm correctly
informed) at least three different implementations of the stdlibrary run
with this compiler: the native one, STLport and Dinkumware.
Assuming above mentioned 'numbers' are some kind of benchmark of compilers,
the comparison between raw speeds only makes sense when they use the same
stdlibrary, else it is possible that it's not the compiler but some
algorithm that makes the difference.

Uli