Re: Library Issue

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: Library Issue
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 20:48:17 +0200

At Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:33:17 -0400 Brian C
<brianc@no.sp.a.m.dynamissoftware.com> wrote:

> Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
> > Most likely you do something like this:
> >
> >   g++ -ldec -lmascot main.cpp
> >
> > Read the link below to understand why you shouldn't do that:
> > http://webpages.charter.net/ppluzhnikov/linker.html
> >
> >>    I brought the code home to finish up on it, and it fails to
> >>    compile w/ g++ (unchanged).
> >
> > It doesn't fail to compile. It fails to link. There is a big
> > difference between the two.
>
> That worked. It's odd that it works fine with IBM xlC compiler and
> Visual C++.

No, it just has to do with how the various linkers work and in what
order they search libraries and whether or not the linkers care about
the order of the arguments on the command line.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration