help-gsasl

Re: CRAM-SHA1 support

From: Lothar May
Subject: Re: CRAM-SHA1 support
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 17:55:54 +0200

Hi Simon,

2009/9/3 Simon Josefsson <address@hidden>:
[...]
>> Same for this:
>>
>>      client-first-message-bare =
>>                        [reserved-mext ","]
>>                        username "," nonce ["," extensions]
>>
>>      reserved-mext  = "m=" 1*(value-char)
>>                        ;; Reserved for signalling mandatory extensions.
>>                        ;; The exact syntax will be defined in
>>                        ;; the future.
>>
>> There is an optional argument at the beginning. So the username
>> "m=..." is not valid? Or do you have to count how many commas there
>> are? This seems very strange. I have more questions like this, which
>> tells me that I'm probably not the right one to implement this... :-/
>
> The fields are comma-separated, and ',' needs to be escaped inside the
> value-char's, check the definition of 'value-safe-char'.

What I meant was, if I start parsing "client-first-message-bare", how
do I know whether the first entry is a username or reserved-mext?

> If you have time to co-operate on an implementation, and are willing to
> sign over copyright of your work to the FSF, we could collaborate on
> doing the SCRAM implementation.  I have some preliminary code for it,
> but have too little time to work on this right now. :-(

I don't have much time, but might free some, and I'd be willing to
give it a try. Do I need git to get the latest sources including this
preliminary code, or is a package available somewhere? I never used
git before, being quite happy with svn :-).

Best regards,
Lothar