Re: Librem

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: Librem
Date: Wed, 02 May 2018 14:07:07 -0400

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Another option is to find a system that respects your freedom and does
>> not require proprietary software to run.  I have a LibreBoot laptop I
>> purchased from MiniFree, and I love it!  I know that purchasing a
>> replacement computer that respects your freedom can seem like an
>> expensive option, but if you have the money, then it's an option:
>>
>> https://minifree.org/
>>
>> You may also be interested in looking at:
>>
>> https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
>
> How does it compare to Purism?

I believe that minifree sells products that Richard Stallman would
purchase.  Purism is pretty close to something that Stallman would
purchase, but I believe there may be some lingering issues with Intel's
FSP that would prevent Stallman from purchasing a Purism.  You can read
a bit more of it here:
https://puri.sm/posts/measuring-the-intel-me-to-create-a-more-secure-computer/

However, I would argue that currently, Purism is probably the best
company working on making a modern and freedom respecting computing
device.  EOMA68 is another contender.
https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop