Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: About /var/guix/profiles and guix pull generations
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2018 01:09:20 +0100

On 2018-12-25 19:49, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:

Why duplicate lines here?

They are not duplicated, the arguments are

+                                profile
+                                (string-append (config-directory #:ensure? #f)
"/current")))

so one is for the user profile, one is for the Guix "checkout".

: +You might also want to delete old non-default profiles pointed to by
: +the symlinks in /var/guix/gcroots/auto (broken symlinks in this
: +directory will be automatically removed).")
: +                                profile
: +                                (string-append (config-directory #:ensure? #f)
"/current")))

I think this is quite long and I don't understand your phrase about broken
symlinks.

In /var/guix/gcroots/auto, you'll find symlinks to custom profiles,
e.g. ~/.my-guix-profile.
If you remove ~/.my-guix-profile, then the symlink in /var/guix/gcroots/auto
will be broken and automatically removed by Guix.  Makes sense?

Can you suggest a better phrasing?

Could you write a new section "Freeing up space in GuixSD" in the manual instead
and refer to that here instead?

That could be a good solution indeed.  What do you people think?

I already sent a patch for the manual on Marks suggestion regarding free space. See https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2018-11/msg00243.html

You are welcome to adopt it if you think it can make it into the manual that way. At that time I did not know about these stale checkouts you are referring to. I think guix should generally clean up after itself and be very clear about what factors cause it to consume space.

--
Cheers Swedebugia