Re: Odd effects from setting SHELL?

From: David Boyce
Subject: Re: Odd effects from setting SHELL?
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 14:26:23 -0400

At 12:05 PM 6/25/2007, Christian Convey wrote:
So what puzzles me is that I was seeming to get a build error that was
shell-specific.  Yet I see plenty of information from man pages, folks
like you, etc. that say I should never be seeing shell-specific build
errors.

You're asking people to remotely diagnose an anecdotal problem which you haven't even tried to reproduce, and I don't think that's fair. If you want to pursue this, put back the broken syntax and try to reproduce the problem with a csh user. Once you have a test case we (or I at least) will be happy to engage. If you're on Solaris, start diagnosis by prepending "truss -texec -f -a --" to the make command. If you're on Linux, strace will do a similar job. If you find a csh being exec-ed by make, we'll have some meat to chew on.

-David Boyce

PS This most likely is related to the fact that bash has partial support for csh compatibility. Specifically the ">&" syntax seems to work in bash where it wouldn't in a POSIX or Bourne shell. As for the difference between your experience and other users, maybe bash repented of this hack and removed it in a later version. Also, it behaves differently dpeending whether it was run as /bin/bash or as /bin/sh (the intent is that it be more POSIX- conformant as /bin/sh) so maybe there's a difference there. Or you may have the POSIXLY_CORRECT environment variable defined while others don't. There are many possibilities but "GNU make defaults to the user's shell" is not one of them.