Re: Odd effects from setting SHELL?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Odd effects from setting SHELL?
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 09:12:48 -0400

On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 14:43 -0600, Philip Guenther wrote:
> Makefiles should always be written with /bin/sh syntax for portability
> and avoid the limitations in csh syntax.  (For example, a makefile
> rule written in csh can't loop using csh's 'foreach', as that requires
> a real newline.  sh's 'for' doesn't have that problem.)

There are more subtle problems as well: for example, you can't use
parallel make (-jN) with SHELL set to csh.  It turns out that csh does
some stupid manipulation of file descriptors that don't belong to it,
which interferes with GNU make's job server capability.

Just remember: friends don't let friends use csh.