hurd-devel

Re: gnumach release

From: Roland McGrath
Subject: Re: gnumach release
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:11:40 -0400 (EDT)

> Ui, I missed that.  Mmmh.  Maybe not worry about it for 1.3, it might take
> some time to get it worked out between those people who actually have so
> much memory and those who know what to do about the code (if there is no
> intersection).

Well, 1GB of memory can be got for around $80 right now.

Anyway, I was just looking into this and I think it is really a much bigger
problem than just the symptom I was looking at.  I have a change to
init_alloc_aligned to allocate the memory above 16MB first so the high
memory should still be on the free list when the linux-dev init needs it.
But I think that is only part of the problem.

There is only 1GB of kernel virtual address space, period.  And I think the
kernel needs to have all of the physical memory directly mapped plus space
for kernel virtual mappings.

> Yes, the reason it is GPL right now is that I simply copied the beginning
> from the Hurd manual (c&p as quickstart).

We should change that to FDL too.