Re: saving/archiving received messages (esp. emails)

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: saving/archiving received messages (esp. emails)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:39:44 -0000

On Fri, Jun 11 2004, Sven Hartenstein wrote:

> Mmmh, I don't get it. As I understand it, mail splitting is normally
> used to split the incoming mail to different groups.

Yes.  For me, it makes more sense to split on arrival than having
everything in the inbox first and move it later, YMMV.
(`nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent' is very nice for this.  But if you
want dated groups, it's not useful for you, probably)

> How do I use it to save/move the (already received) articles, that I
> want to keep?

We most probably don't want to use the _save_ functions.  Use `B m'
and `gnus-move-split-methods'.

> I will try this, though I don't understand what "attach local files as
> external parts" means.

If you attach file /foo/bar.pdf, there will be only a "link" to this
file in the archived article, not the PDF.  As long as you don't
delete/move/rename the file, you can still access the PDF from Gnus.

> However, this seems to deal only with mail that I send, not with the
> one I received.

Yes, for received mail, there's no such functionality in Gnus, AFAIK.
You can try `gnus-mime-delete-part' (bound to `d' when cursor is on
the attachment) or `gnus-mime-save-part-and-strip' (`C-o').  Alas,
these functions are known to fails on "complicated" MIME structure.
In this case, you may edit the article (`e'), delete the MIME part
("<# part ...>") and save it with `C-c C-c').

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)