Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Christopher Biggs
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:04:24 +1000

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:
>
>> Hi, I just thought it would be interesting to have a gnus backend
>> storing the messages in a Berkeley db, gdbm, or a similar disk hash.
>
> Yes, that would be useful.  The main problem is probably the Emacs
> interface to the C library (libdb, libgdbm, ...).
>
> There was a project nndb once, which was a Perl server storing
> articles in a Berkeley DB speaking a protocol similar to NNTP, and
> there was also nndb.el which talked the nndb protocol.  Perhaps that
> is one approach for doing things.

Surely once you talk about implementing an NNTP-like protocol for
communicating with a storage backend in a separate process, you have
just reinvented IMAP?

I use nnimap talking to localhost as my mail backend, since it means I
can use whatever MUA I need to at the time.

If the end goal is a fast database store, investigate DB-backed IMAP
servers.  (But Please, Eris, Not ZF Rkpunatr).

--cjb