Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Christopher Biggs
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:30:03 +1000

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> Another objection is that there is no way to _inject_ an article in
> IMAP, because it's wired for mail; one has to do some side trick in the
> mail transport to make posted articles appear in the IMAP store.  Or am
> I wrong?

The IMAP APPEND command is used to create new messages in a mailbox.

> Christopher> If the end goal is a fast database store, investigate
> Christopher> DB-backed IMAP servers.  (But Please, Eris, Not ZF
> Christopher> Rkpunatr).
>
> What and where are these?  All I know about is dbmail, and the SQL
> databases it connects to are definitely overkill.

Well, there's the one I mention above (rot 13), which I am not
seriously advocating.  I'm sure commercial DB backed IMAP servers
exist, but I'm not up-to-date with the current commercial offerings.

Among the free offerings, Cyrus uses a db for metadata but not the
messages.  UW-IMAP has a pluggable backend mechanism, so a DB backend
could be created there without needing to implement IMAP from scratch.

--cjb