Re: db or similar store, anyone?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: db or similar store, anyone?
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 07:28:05 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> Kai> Hm.  Maybe a C/Perl/... program speaking some protocol on
> Kai> stdin/stdout, then invoking that program from Emacs is one way to
> Kai> go.
>
> And I have started working on this one.  I have low motivation now,
> though, because I have come to see the whole situation as an Emacs
> limitation.  (Why isn't there any C extension interface yet?)  So I'll
> proceed at glacial speed.

XEmacs has a C extension interface, if I'm not mistaken.  Emacs does
not, and I think the most important reason is that Richard thinks it
is too easy to violate the GPL if a C extension interface is
present.  The C interface could be used to invoke Non-Free code.

> Kai> There was a project nndb once, which was a Perl server storing
> Kai> articles in a Berkeley DB speaking a protocol similar to NNTP, and
> Kai> there was also nndb.el which talked the nndb protocol.
>
> I'll try to search for this, but given the considerable effort I
> expended on research before the initial posting, I am not optimistic.
> It's probably lost to history.

An initial Google search looks promising: the first hit points at
version 0.3.  nndb.el is still included in Gnus, surprisingly enough.

It would be great if you could revitalize this thing.

Kai