Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP

From: Josh Huber
Subject: Re: To IMAP or not to IMAP
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:47:17 -0400

Marcus Frings <iam-est-hora-surgere@despammed.com> writes:

> Cyrus IMAP: Too overloaded for home usage. It's full of features and a
>             very great IMAP server but setup is a little more
>             complicated compared to others. Mails are stored in Cyrus'
>             own format which is neither mbox nor Maildir.

If you use some pre-packaged release of Cyrus, it's a hell of a
lot easier.  The feeling I get from reading the cyrus-info list
for a while now, is that almost everyone who has setup/runtime
issues built their own.  I think the defaults in 2.2 have been
much better wrt. backend database selection, so perhaps it's
getting better for those who build from source.

I really enjoy using Cyrus as my home IMAP server.  It's really
fast, has built-in filtering support (through sieve), and has
been really stable.  Of course, it may be overkill with only 7
regular users, but I figured it would be a good learning
experience at the same time!

--
Josh Huber